Cal alumna and entrepreneur, Nanxi Liu has generously offered $500 in matching funds if we can raise 15 gifts in support of these programs.
The Expanding Diversity and Gender Equity in Tech Initiative at the University of California (EDGE in Tech)™ is committed to addressing the challenges faced by women and other under-included identities in engineering and computer science fields. Led in partnership between the Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society and the Banatao Institute (CITRIS) and Berkeley Engineering, EDGE in Tech serves as a trusted center and resource that integrates research with action.
Despite significant efforts to increase the enrollment and graduation rate of female-identifying students and underrepresented minorities in science, technology, engineering, and math disciplines, the high attrition rate of such engineers and tech professionals in the industry is a looming threat to the U.S. economy. Improving workplace practices to increase inclusion and belonging will prevent many from leaving promising careers.
EDGE in Tech’s goal is to identify and reduce systemic barriers to equitable participation, persistence, and advancement for all. We strive for a world in which women and all identities in technical fields are proportionately represented and equitably compensated throughout the professional ranks in the industry, academia, and the public sector.
Your gift can make a difference!
A gift to EDGE in Tech would support our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging efforts, including but not limited to:
- Research On-ramps: Expand undergraduate research opportunities and increase paid positions.
- Undergraduate Research Apprentice Program and Data Discovery: Applied research on persistence in STEM, inclusive mentoring, and diversity and inclusion in innovation and entrepreneurship; and analyzing data on notable women at Cal.
- Internships: Work-study and stipends targeting underrepresented students for project leadership
- Student Courses: Support professional development, inclusive innovation, and persistence in STEM.
- Annual Diversity in Tech Symposium: Attend the annual symposium, EDGE in Tech’s flagship event for panels, keynotes, and career opportunities in high-growth tech sectors. The next Diversity in Tech Symposium will be on Smarter Tech for a Resilient Future and will take place March 2–3, 2023.
- EDGE in Tech Athena Awards: Help recognize those who embody, encourage, and promote the inclusion of women and BIPOC in STEM. Nominations for inspiring executives, academic leaders, early-career tech stars, and organizations supporting the next generation, are open to all candidates regardless of gender, age, country, and institutional affiliation.
- EDGE in Tech Leadership Roundtables: Support a semiannual gathering of influential leaders from leading tech companies committed to knowledge sharing and best practices to develop equitable workplaces and sustainable solutions to attract, retain, and advance women and Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) in technology.
- Monthly Webinar Series and Podcast: Engage with Berkeley Global collaboration on a human resources expert seminar certificate and ongoing Leaders in DEI Series for professional development for current HR professionals and aspiring DEI student leaders. Listen to our Future of Work podcast series for upskilling and pathways to new careers.
We invite you to consider making a gift before this campaign ends, and help us increase the impact of this important program.
Tamara Bock, Development Director, CITRIS and the Banatao Institute at email@example.com
DOES YOUR COMPANY GIFT MATCH?
Not sure if your company matches gifts? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
CONNECT WITH US
Sign up to receive the latest news and updates from CITRIS's EDGE in Tech Initiative.
Join our mailing list