MEDLIFE is a non-profit that works with the community to organize mobile health clinics and fund community development projects in the asentamientos of Lima, Peru. UCB MEDLIFE is a branch of the bigger non-profit that is based in UC Berkeley and we work providing MEDLIFE with culturally sensitive volunteers by requiring that our students take a course prior to their volunteer trip in Peru.
We have been an established chapter for 8 years on the UC Berkeley chapter. Each year we aim to send 20-30 students on a two week long service trip to el Cono Sur de Lima, Peru. We have recognized that two weeks is no sustainable; however, something that makes our chapter different from many other MEDLIFE chapters and global brigades chapters in general is our consistent presence in Lima. We hold a class that meets once a week to guide our students to be culturally sensitive when entering marginalized spaces, we also discuss global health issues prevalent in Lima, and teach them basic conversations and medical Spanish.
This is unique to our chapter as we believe that in order to achieve sustainable solutions to combat global poverty, we must have well-informed, open minded individuals enter the space; and we continue to go to Lima, Peru ever year to combat the label of being a 'voluntourist'. The volunteers have to pay a program fee. The breakdown of the program fee is around 30% goes to the volunteer’s living accommodations while they are in Lima and the other 70% goes to fund the clinics and community development projects. In the past MEDLIFE has raised funds to build a wawawasi (daycare center) in the community of Union Santa Fe, a water pylon and many staircases in the hills of Pamplona Alta. Will you support UCB MEDLIFE and help us send students to peru by making a gift today?
On top of paying for the program fee, the students must also pay for their own travel. We as a chapter like to send students who are motivated and passionate about serving the underserved but most of the time these individuals come from margnalized communities themselves and do not have the financial means to afford both the program fee and the trip. Therefore, we are looking to fundraise enough money to help cover the cost of a few 4-5 student’s travel expenses students on these trips that they would otherwise not be able to attend. Can we count on your support today?
Thank you for reading! If you would like to know more about us please feel free to message us at firstname.lastname@example.org, follow us on FB or visit our website ucbmedlife.org!